Saturday 16 June 2007

The Australia Vietnam friendship foundation of An Giang

The Australia Vietnam friendship foundation of An Giang is something my boss dreamed up when I first arrived here. I am not sure what it is yet always provides a good excuse to have a beer or two. Occasionally there is a reason like Australia day or sometimes there is not. This time it was to introduce two new members to our club – Kirsty and Jack.

I had met Doug, an old timer here in LX working with Ausaid, when I first arrived. He was working on a water engineering project and finished last year.
He returned to Australia and just arrived back a few weeks ago to finish the old project and start a new one. I met him once already yet this time he was required on more official duties. He arrived with a consultant from his project. Mai, my bosses wife, had ordered the food for us which was coming out as we were sitting down. It started off fairly slow as the group was a little too big. I found it was hard to hear what was going on the other side of the table.

Just as we finished the food I and everyone else was in for a big shock. Dr Rang had just arrived. He had studied at Melbourne University and just came back from visiting Australia were he attended his daughters engagement party. Yet even though his presence was a shock to me, the next thing left me floored – a bottle of Penfold’s cab sav.

It was the best wine I have tasted in years. Now I will not profess that I know anything about wine yet this was good. After we finished the wine we were about to go when it was suggested that I get a photo with the waitresses. Well in this picture I look a little too excited, maybe even scary, definitely creepy. I will blame the wine and beer combo.


Just as we left Dr Rang asked if I would like to have a few more at another place and as I hadn’t seen him for a long time I thought why not. He invited his friend who had also just returned from Australia. Well after a few, I saw the picture of Larue beer (terrible hangovers in the morning) and the Sydney opera house trying to put them together. I couldn’t and just figured that it was all the beer and wine again.



No comments: