Tuesday 12 June 2007

National Geographic

Today as I came back from lunch I noticed out of the corner of my eye a branch on the steps. As I was about to pick it up I realised that it was not. It was one of my worst fears, a snake. I detest snakes. I was scared stiff. As I walked up the stairs I was unsure whether to get my camera and photograph it. I have always wanted to get a snake picture with my camera.

I reasoned that it was small and if it tried to strike me it would be slow and not be able to break my skin. I decided to go for it and grab the camera. I noticed that I was a trembling a little, and generally feeling uneasy. I found the camera went down stairs hoping it was still there, and luckily it was. I moved into position to take the snake snap, mindful not to get too close. It was about 80cm long and the thickness of a finger. It had an intricate design on the back similar to some of the vegetation I have seen here. It’s head definitely looked like a leaf.

I took the first photo however it looked to far away, so I was trying to keep the same distance while taking the second. All of sudden it moved, slowly to turn around and look at me. My heart raced as I was putting a bit more distance between me and it. I took the second snap as it was about to leave, and tried to get a third. I was wrong about the speed of the snake, it could really fly. Beside the bike shed it went, and I was not brave enough to chase it down for the third pic.

The next time I will use the tap next to the greenhouse I will be petrified. Who knows what is hiding in the grass there. Well anyway, mission accomplished 2 pictures of the little snake.

No comments: