Tuesday 12 June 2007

Unknown Farewell

Thursday last week saw the English department have a farewell party for …? I wasn’t sure who it was for, either Scott or Lillian. I knew it was on, and was invited yet I did not know what time, and consequently missed the important speeches. I think it might have been for both, yet Lillian will come back after the northern summer and Scott doesn’t leave for a while.

When I arrived I saw the presentation of the gifts. Then it was time to eat. I usually don’t look forward to the food at the English faculty’s parties as I feel the food is far from adventurous. Eric and I earlier in the afternoon were trying to guess what the food would be. I was surprised to find that only two were right: a type of salad (Goi) and soup (Lau). This time they had a fish (Pink Tilapia) which was really fantastic. The flavour wasn’t strong and the flesh melted in your mouth. To top it off we had mangos like at home, sweet and orange. Most of the mangos here I feel are too sour and green.

Throughout dinner the guys were playing a game. Whenever we wanted to drink someone would say oooh chilli, and we would drink. We had to hide it as the Rector, Dr Xuan, doesn’t like drinking much. When it was time to go I was ready to escape to the next place.

No comments: